My attempt at "scrapbooking."

How do busy mothers of multiple children find the time to drive to the craft store with the kids, choose paper and stickers and markers and books and cutting tools and pens while preventing the kids from grabbing everything off the shelves and getting bored and throwing tantrums, and then drive back home and lay out all the stuff without the kids scattering it all over the house?? That is why I have this blog instead!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mutton Bustin' Mason

Sunday was a beautiful day-- sunny, around 80 degrees-- what a better way to spend the day than at the Puyallup Fair? When Gareth told me he wanted Mason to participate in the Mutton Bustin' competition, I was a bit hestitant. My little boy was going to be clinging to a running sheep? A sheep madly dashing from one side of the pen to the other? Why does he have to wear a helmet if its safe? Are broken bones and trampled internal organs possible?? I reluctantly agreed to allow Mason to participate after the director of the event promised that in the 5 years she'd been with the group no one had been seriously hurt.

I sat in the crowd and waited for Mason to have his turn. There were about 40 kids participating, and Mason was set to ride towards the beginning-- 5th or 6th, I believe. Before he got in line he asked us what he should do, and we told him to dig his nails and feet into the side of the sheep and not to let go! As the first few kids went, I thought that it probably didn't matter how tightly they tried to hold on-- after a second or two, each young participant (between the ages of 3 and 6) would start teetering to the side and roll off. Finally, it was Mason's turn, and the mc of the event announced, "Up next is Mason Kenee, 5 years old, from Seattle, weighing in at 38 pounds." (Most kids his age were between 45 and 50!) Then the gate flung open and my boy was laying on his stomach on the top of this smelly, woolly animal dashing across the dirt! I felt proud that he was holding on so well, but then my pride turned to uneasiness... Mason didn't fall off, which was good initially, but when the sheep finished his run and decided to join his herd and Mason continued to hold on despite his sheep running in the midst of his herd, flashes of the running of the bulls in Spain ran through my mind! How long was he going to hold on? Were the little rodeo cowboys dressed as clowns going to be chasing Mason and his sheep around the pen endlessly? Finally, after the crowd roared at Mason's following of his parent's directions to "not let go," he released his grip and landed in the midst of the herd of sheep. He emerged unharmed-- a bit dazed, maybe-- but then he saw me jumping up and down, cheering for him, and he flashed his dimples at me and waved a proud wave.

After winning that day, Mason had 3 things to say:

1. "No one could beat me because I held on so long and I just wouldn't let go."
2. "I squeezed my eyes shut real tight because I was kind of scared, but when I did open them, I saw so many sheep feet all around me!"
3. "My mom is so proud of me."

I told Mason I would have been just as proud if he'd have fallen off after one second, because he was brave enough to ride a sheep running at full speed! The video below is part of Mason's ride... you can't see him joining the herd due to my screaming and jumping about...


No comments: