My attempt at "scrapbooking."

How do busy mothers of multiple children find the time to drive to the craft store with the kids, choose paper and stickers and markers and books and cutting tools and pens while preventing the kids from grabbing everything off the shelves and getting bored and throwing tantrums, and then drive back home and lay out all the stuff without the kids scattering it all over the house?? That is why I have this blog instead!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Budding Artists

Lately, the kids have been very into art time. They love to draw. I love art time, too, because it keeps them occupied for a little while, and I am always interested to see what they come up with.

Mason is a very detail-oriented artist. He likes to draw pictures of his favorite characters, and he gets upset if the tiniest detail does not match the original source. I am amazed that he remembers so much detail. I often wonder if he copies his drawings while looking at a picture, but when I go and check, he is drawing from memory.




Harper is not very detail-oriented. She is an abstract artist. While I know exactly what Mason is drawing, or can at least make an educated guess, I have to ask Harper to tell me about her picture. A lot of times, her drawing is not of something specific... it is just a "design." I wish that she would have just been drawing "designs" today while she and Georgia were at my Moms' group. A nice pair of retired grandmothers volunteer their time to watch the children of the moms at my church while we have Bible study. When I picked Harper up today, she was carrying a cut-out drawing that she had made. When I asked her what it was, she replied, "my bummy." "Bummy" is the kids' code word for their bottoms. Great! Those sweet white-haired ladies probably fainted when Harper told them she had drawn a picture of her bottom! But then she stated, "Don't worry, Mommy. I told them it was a hat."


Georgia likes to draw, too. Georgia doesn't draw on paper. She draws all over her body, her clothes, her face, her neck... Perhaps Georgia won't be the next Picasso, but she could be the next great tattoo artist!







No comments: